Clarify your questions here and contact me for more information.
Frequently asked questions
What is a briefing?
A briefing is a document that describes a particular project, task or activity.
This tool is widely used by companies or freelancers that work in the areas of Marketing, Advertising, Design, among others.
It is a document that should be written in a succinct, objective manner, in order to be used as reference material.
What points should it contain?
- Project Purpose: what is going to be developed;
- Target audience: the type of client that buys the product/service;
- Competitors: other clients/companies that work in the same business area.
The creation of this document is fundamental for professionals to understand the type of project that has to be developed and from this point to submit a proposal according to the previously defined goals.
How to define a briefing and request a proposal?
To develop a proposal, it is fundamental to make a briefing that explains exactly the type of work that is intended.
The more complete it is, the more precise my proposal will be.
Below, I leave some examples for web design and graphic design projects.
1 – Web Projects:
- Is it possible to indicate what is your business area and give a short description of it, including who is your target audience?
- What type of site do you want? Institucional website for a company, personal websites, landing page, portfólio, online store ou ecommerce, blog…
Is it possible to send some examples?
- Do you want a professional website from scratch or with a template?
- Do you already have domain, hosting and SSL certificate?
- How many pages and languages (PT, ENG, among others) does the site have?
f it’s an institutional site I suggest around 5 pages.
Ex: Home, Company, Services, Proposal e Contacts
- Do you have a logo? Do you want a refresh or a new logo/redesign?
- What kind of features do you want on the site?
Ex: sliders, forms, MailChimp, feed Instagram, social media (icons), online booking (…).
- Do you already have a social media page? Do you want to create the page and/or manage it?
- The whole site must have SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
In this phase we develop some basic tasks (definition h1, creation of meta descriptions and titles…) to help the indexation of the website in search engines (Google, Bing…), as well as the customization of SEO plugins.
- What is the address of the site and its business?
- What type of redesign do you want?
- Do you want a site from scratch or with a template?
Just change some visual elements or do you want a deeper redesign where you can use a different template?
- Do you intend an SEO analysis including texts, keyword definition and titles?
2 – Graphic Design Projects:
Here are some sample questions to better explain what kind of logo you want.
- Give us a description of the company/project?
- What is the mission and vision of the company/project?
- What is the contribution that is unique? (Also mention the company/project’s strengths, specialties / featured products / most wanted services)
- What is the profile of your target audience?
- What kind of logo do you want?
Please indicate examples of logos you like.
a) Logo with text only
b) Logo with symbol (graphic image)
c) Logo with symbol (graphic image – abstract)
d) Logo with symbol (characters)
- What is the name and elements that should compose the logo?
- Is it necessary to create a slogan for this project?
- What are the words/message or even adjectives that the logo should communicate.
E.g.: a) feminine/masculine, modern/classic, simple/complex, subtle/obvious, young/adult.
- Can you tell us your preference for colors and fonts?
E.g.: Cool/hot/neutral colors, Sans serif or serif fonts
Provide specific examples if possible.
- Are there any colors that cannot exist in the logo?
- Can you give us around 5 examples of logos of other companies, regardless of the market they operate in, which you like the most?
If possible, please indicate what caught your attention the most in each one of them.
What are my services?
I work as a freelancer in the area of Graphic and Web Design.
For Graphic Design projects I develop logos, flyers, brochures, leaflets, posters, among others.
In the case of web I work on any type of website (institutional, blog, portfolio, landing page …) or e-commerce site either from scratch or with template, using platforms like WordPress.
I also have services in other areas such as Editorial Design, Digital Marketing, Web Development and Management in partnership.
My work methodology as a freelance designer
Each designer has their own work methodology and uses different tools (analog and/or digital) to create the most appropriate design or website, but for me, there is nothing like paper and pencil and from there I start drawing ideas.
In the first meeting with the client, I take the opportunity to ask questions such as:
What is your company offering (products, services, etc.)?
How does your company differ from the competition?
Do you already have an idea of the design or website you want?
Is it possible to send some examples?
Can you name some competing websites and specify whether they are good or bad examples of what you want?
What is the special message you want to convey with the website?
Tell us the three things you value most about the website you want?
What is the most annoying element on some sites?
Based on the answers, I define a work plan and delivery dates. In my case, I divide the plan into 3 areas/sections:s:
- Work research (internet, social networks, books, magazines, newspapers, exhibitions…);
- Elaboration of the first ideas on paper;
- Realization of ideas on the computer and shaping a final work to present to the client.
Should I be present on social media? And which?
Social media is an excellent way for any business to gain visibility and attract new clients. They are very useful for exhibiting your work, sharing it with a wide audience and generating interest for potential job opportunities.
Some of the most far-reaching networks are Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn, but that doesn’t mean you have to be on all of them.
See in this article “The Importance of Social Networks in Your Business“, more detailed information about the characteristics and advantages of each social network.
What do you need to have a website?
Para ter um website ou loja online são necessárias 3 componentes:
These products are provided by companies.
c) SSL Certificate: Basically it is an implemented code on the server that allows content encryption.
What kind of websites do I design?
I develop all kinds of websites for companies and entrepreneurs. I’m talking about the following situations:
- Professional and institutional websites for small business and personal businesses;
- One-page sites, that is, a site with a single link where the user consults all the information on a single page;
- Landing pages: are pages of a website with the main focus of conversion, that is, focused only on the central offer on that page;
- Online stores or e-commerce sites.
For simpler website solutions I use templates.
In the case of websites from scratch, 1st start by developing the website layout and only after the client’s final approval does the programming begin.
All these solutions are sites with backoffice, taking advantage of the use of specific tools – CMS – existing in the market (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal).
What is a CMS – Content Management System?
CMS – Content Management System – are tools for creating and/or editing websites and content on the internet without the need to have programming knowledge.
The use of CMS has made the lives of web design, web development and online content professionals much easier and, at the same time, has opened a door for the development of other solutions.
- Reduced costs: Implementing an out-of-the-box CMS is definitely less costly than a custom one;
- User-friendly: Gives people with little or no technical skills the ability to create, update or modify content;
- Advanced site functionality: Most systems allow the implementation of functionalities;
- Optimized your website and content for search engines (SEO) and mobile use;
- Multiple users;
- Open Source tools.
What is a responsive website?
Um website responsivo é um site composto por um layout que vai mudando consoante o dispositivo que se está a utilizar. Por outras palavras, é um site adaptado a todos os dispositivos (portátil, tablet e smartphones).
A responsive website is a website made up of a layout that changes depending on the device being used. In other words, it is a website adapted to all devices (laptop, tablet and smartphones).
a) Improves (even more) the user experience;
b) Adapts to all mobile devices;
c) More economical;
d) Less laborious;
e) Optimization of websites in search engines.
What platforms do I use?
It varies depending on the type of website you want. For landing pages, one page, institutional sites I use WordPress, one of the best known CMS in the world and an excellent option to work on SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
In the case of ecommerce online stores, I turn to WooCommerce, the leading online commerce platform for WordPress.
The advantage of using the WordPress platform is that it is free and in a very economical and fast way a website with a backoffice is developed where the customer has full access.
For development sites from scratch, other tools can be used.
In situations of development of Graphic Design projects (logos, stationary, flyers, leaflets…) I use Adobe tools, such as Illustrator, Indesign, Photoshop, among others.
In short, each project is a different situation.
What are the stages?
The process of creating and developing a website design or graphic design project is based on the following steps:
1. Set up a meeting (by phone, in-person or virtual) to get more information about the project, to clarify any questions, and schedule deadlines.
2. Research, elaboration of ideas, executing of the first models and presentation to the client.
3. After the feedback on the first presentation, readjust the design according to the client’s inputs.
4. Review, correct and make the necessary changes according to client preferences.
5. An email is sent with all the information and original project files.
On web design projects, I provide tutorials in video or text format so that the client can be completely independent.
This work process is, of course, adaptable to every client!
How long does it take me to develop a project?
The execution time varies according to the type of project to be created (graphic design, website, logo, online store, newsletter) and its complexity.
Like any creative work, designing an idea and realizing it takes time.
However, if we are talking about a website or e-commerce, it depends on the following factors:
a) The size of the site, ie the number of pages;
b) The number of languages;
c) The complexity of its design;
d) Advanced features that the customer needs;
e) Sending the contents by the customer;
f) Timely customer feedback and input from the development of my work;
Generally a basic 5 page site, we are talking about 4 to 5 weeks including changes.
Communication between us will be a fundamental point to guarantee deadlines.
What kind of content should the client provide?
For the development of a website the necessary contents are:
a) company or brand logo;
b) texts, headlines, highlight phrases, call to action;
c) infographics, graphics, images, videos;
d) links from social networks;
e) personal data of the company (address, telephone, email…).
In short, all the elements that the client wants to be on the site.
I don’t know how to create the necessary content. What to do next?
In case the client does not know how to create the necessary content for the development of a brochure, leaflet, website or online store, these can be created by me or even a copywriter.
In the case of a website, the texts are created according to SEO rules in order to facilitate the site’s indexing in search engines such as Google, Bing, among others.
Is it necessary to make an agreement for new website or e-commerce updates?
As all websites and online stores are developed using CMS tools, the client has full access to the work and can make his own changes.
The templates I use come prepared with a “drag and drop” tool in order to streamline the entire process.
However, if the client does not want to have one more concern in their day-to-day, I can present a specific proposal for this situation.
What are the payment terms?
Each project is a different situation but the value is always divided into several phases.
I will describe some situations:
a) Design Projects
50% – on proposal approval; 50% – with delivery of the website
b) Web Design Projects
45% – on proposal approval; 35% – 30 days after approval; 20% – with delivery of the website
c) Web Design Projects (large size)
35% – on proposal approval; 35% – 30 days after approval; 30% – with delivery of the website
It is possible to reach other types of payment terms. In terms of payment method, the most practical solution is bank transfer or MB Way. It is always necessary to send proof of payment to [email protected].
What are the conditions of the proposal?
- The proposal is valid for a period of 1 month.
- Travel expenses are not included in the proposed price and one of the ways to better manage your time is to take advantage of online tools to hold virtual meetings. In this situation by default I use Google Meet.
- The project starts after payment of the award with proof of payment sent. The contents (texts, images, data access…) must be sent within 5 days, unless otherwise stated.
- The award amount will not be refunded if the client withdraws from the project.
- The client will not be entitled to any refund of amounts paid or the right to any compensation for non-completion of the project or other unspecified situation.
How many amendments are included in the proposal?
a) In the creation of graphic design, such as a logo, for example, the development of a new idea is included in case the client is not satisfied with the proposals presented;
b) Other changes are budgeted separately.
a) Changes to the structure of the WordPress website template, which require programming, are budgeted separately;
b) Other types of projects or even situations have to be analyzed on a case-by-case basis.
Do I have full access to all project files?
After completing the graphic design projects or website creation and respective payments, I always send an email with all the information about it. This includes original files, artwork already prepared for printing at the printers, account access data (website), among other elements.
In the case of having the site down or even not being able to access the backoffice, what should I do?
Whenever you find that you no longer have normal access to your website or online store, you should always contact me.
Depending on the situation, it may be necessary to contact the team that manages all questions associated with the domain and hosting.
Does my site need to be optimized for search engines (SEO)?
Nowadays having an online website that no one sees is not a good marketing strategy. To avoid this type of situation, we have to rely on the help of some SEO (Search Engine Optimization) techniques to achieve a good positioning in the search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo…).
What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization consists of a set of techniques and strategies for website optimization (blogs, online stores and other types of websites), which aim to make these same projects easily found by search engine robots. Thus, it is possible to generate a better positioning of your pages in the organic search results.
Organic search is often the primary source of website traffic
Organic search accounts for a large part of a website’s performance. Google has over 75% of the overall search market. You are the clear leader and therefore it is important to follow your optimization guidelines.
SEO builds trust and credibility
SEO plays a key role in brand recognition. A search engine optimized website has the ability to attract more users than a non-optimized website.
Helps support the competition
Having a better optimized website than others helps your company compete with businesses much larger than itself.
Higher engagement, traffic and conversions + Local SEO
It consists of bringing qualified traffic to the website, with the possibility of users becoming customers.
Local SEO aims to optimize the product for a specific region so that people can find it quickly and easily, putting them one step closer to a transaction.
SEO impacts the buying cycle
Customers do their research. This is one of the biggest advantages of the internet from a buyer’s point of view.
SEO is relatively cheap
Of course, SEO requires investment, but it is relatively cheap compared to other strategies such as, for example, buying sponsored links.
A good SEO implementation will maintain your return on investment for a long time.
If you're not on the first page, you're not getting the click.
A recent study shows that the top 3 organic search rankings get almost 40% of all clicks, while up to 30% of all other results on pages 1 and 2 are not clicked.
Improves conversion rate
SEO optimized websites are faster and easier to read and navigate.
The website is displayed on most mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
What is Local SEO?
Local SEO is a specificity of SEO that consists of using optimization strategies where your geographic location is privileged.
This strategy is essential for regional and local businesses that depend on physical establishments such as restaurants, bars, clinics, gyms, among others.
Applying a Local SEO strategy is extremely important in the context of Digital Marketing and improving local business results. It covers the production of organic content on the website, blog or social networks of companies, as well as the creation and management of paid ads in Google Ads, formerly Google Adwords, or in ads on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or other social networks.
For Local SEO it is very important to start by placing the company on Google Maps and activating the Google Business Profile, also known as Google My Business.
So it is essential when we are creating a business to have a Google account and create a profile.
By taking this step after placing the address, we already appear on Google Maps.
How to write for SEO?
Having a site without optimizing its content (texts, titles, subtitles, images…) for search engines is a very bad strategy.
However, you need to know what rules there are and how to write them.
Here are some of the existing rules:
- Search keywords and their variations
- Create a title with the keywords for each page
- Use subheadings
- Using external link building with care
- Optimize the general structure of your text
- Work on the alt and title of images
- Create optimized urls